With these 5 energy saving lighting tips you will decrease your electric bills!
Americans are paying more than ever before for a litany of consumable goods and services, and energy is right at the top of the list. One of the biggest ways to save on your energy bills is by taking a proactive stance when it comes to managing the lighting in your home. Here are five home lighting tips that can help you cut down on your energy expenses:
1. Replace standard bulbs. You’ve been hearing it for a few years now; the Z-Wave Dimmable LED Standard Light Bulbs are more energy efficient while still emitting the same amount of light. Changing out your bulbs to these spiral-shaped bulbs really does help save energy in your home – and, LED bulbs can last up to 10 times longer than standard light bulbs.
2. Replace halogen bulbs. Halogen light bulbs are so hot that they can actually become a fire hazard – and that’s a whole other problem. The bright white light they give off can be replicated with safer, more energy-smart CFL bulbs as well.
3. Use motion detection lights outside. Rather than leaving a porch light burning all night long to zap energy and spike your electric bill, have motion sensor lights put in so that your outdoor lights only come on when someone drives or walks up near the home. It does double-duty by scaring off intruders, and it uses much less energy.
4. Consider fluorescent lighting. Fluorescent light tubes are making a comeback in some areas of the home, including playrooms, backyard patios and garages. These are energy efficient lighting solutions that make sense for certain places in the home, as they use much less heat than incandescent bulbs. Experts estimate they can be four to six times more energy efficient than standard light bulbs.
5. Take advantage of home automation. With a home automation solution like Alert 360, you can program your lights (along with other features in the home) to turn on and off at the times you determine, and you can control it all from your smartphone. Energy experts will back us up on this: Taking advantage of a home automation service is one of the smartest ways to lower your energy bills. Our smart thermostat can also save you some serious money!
There you have it: five ways to save on energy, by managing the lighting in your home more efficiently. If you have any questions on Alert 360, please contact your local home automation Alert 360 branch.