Increase energy efficiency! If sticking to a budget and increasing your savings is one of your new year’s resolutions, start with smart energy management. You already know that using Energy Star appliances, turning lights off when you leave a room and lowering your thermostat can help save on energy costs during winter. There’s even more, you can do to cut your electric bill year-round. Take your energy savings to the next level – and add convenience to your life – with the following tips for smart energy management in the new year.
Top 10 Tips for Increasing the Energy Efficiency of Your Home
As temperatures drop in many areas of the country, the demand to heat our homes and offices increases significantly. The good news? These 10 energy-saving tips can make a difference in your monthly utility bills year-round, even if you live in a warmer climate.
- Use power strips on printers, computers and TVs and turn them off during vacations or long periods when not in use.
- Consider Z-wave light bulbs, which provide super-energy efficient, remotely controlled lighting. Or, replace bulbs that burn more than one hour per day with LED or CFL bulbs, which can cut costs by around 75 percent.
- Open shades and drapes during the day to let the warm sun shine in. Direct sunlight into a home during the cold months can provide natural heat. At night, close the drapes and blinds to prevent drafts.
- Check outside your home, where telephone, electrical, cable, gas, faucets, and dryer vents connect. Caulk around these entrance points if needed. Close holes, seals and gaps around exterior doors and windows to keep heat from escaping. Make sure windows are locked and the outermost frames are sealed from allowing cold air in.
- Set water heater temperature no higher than 120ºF.
- On your dishwasher, use the air-dry cycle instead of heat-dry cycle.
- A warmer garage will save energy. Keep your garage doors closed when not in use.
- Conduct routine maintenance. Change HVAC filters monthly so the system can perform at maximum efficiency. Check for leaks in ducts, which can increase costs by up to 30 percent. Also, ensure your dryer vent hose is not kinked or clogged.
- Become more energy aware. Learn which appliances use the most energy and how setting a schedule for your thermostat can make a difference. Take this fun quiz from the Energy.Gov Energy Saver site to test your home energy IQ.
- Consider a programmable or smart thermostat. The most efficient thermostat works around your unique schedule and reduces heating and cooling costs by monitoring your system to run only when you need it – saving you as much as 30 percent on heating and cooling bills.
Energy Management + Smart Home Automation Services Save Energy without Sacrificing Comfort
With an array of programmable products and automated services available, it’s easier than ever to cut energy costs without compromising your lifestyle. Today’s home automation and energy management solutions, including smart devices, can help you conserve energy, take control, and gain insight into your energy use. Additionally, automating your appliances, lights and thermostat can add welcome convenience to your busy days. Look for an energy management solution from a reputable home automation provider that allows you to:
- Remotely control smart thermostats , lights and small appliances through the web, your mobile devices, and a mobile app
- Set energy efficiency schedules that interact with your security system
- Use smart schedules to adjust the thermostat and turn lights on or off based on time of day and day of week
- Get real-time notifications when a thermostat setting is changed
- See what devices draw the most energy and set electricity usage goals
- Monitor whole home energy use by kWh and dollars
- View solar generation from integrated panels if applicable
- Create an energy efficiency model of your home using a savings estimator
- Receive helpful tips on improving home energy use
Optimizing energy savings and ensuring your heating or cooling system is not working harder than it needs to, the latest energy management solutions are easy to install, easy to use, and extremely effective.
What’s Easier than Mobile App Control of Thermostats, Lights, Locks, Doors and More?
Homeowners who use a monitored alarm system or home automation services, including energy management, also can ask their security providers about mobile app alarm monitoring to control lights, locks, thermostats and appliances. The ability to control these devices remotely from your tablet, cell phones or Google Home, Amazon Echo or Apple Watch helps manage energy use and increases your home’s security.
The bottom line? Today’s wireless security, home automation, and energy management solutions make it easy and affordable to connect with your home. There’s no hard wiring, patching, or painting required to get up and running. The added convenience of mobile control can also save valuable time and money. What busy family couldn’t use more of both?
Make this the year you reduce your energy consumption and enjoy modern conveniences in smart home automation. Start by learning more about the energy you use and taking advantage of the many convenient devices available that can lend a hand in reducing it. This makes saving on energy costs a resolution that’s easy to keep all year long.
Have a friend or family member who wants to save on heating or cooling costs. Share these tips and ideas with them today!
Looking for other great blogs by Alert 360? Check them our below!
Honoring Our Veterans Every Day
Keep your New Puppy or Pet Safe and Secure
It’s National Preparedness Month
Back-to-School Security Tips for Families
Your Local Alert 360 Home Security Company Can Help! Find a local Alert 360 home security office near me at Alert360.com. Visit our Alert 360 Home Security Support Center and FAQs for helpful online help anytime or contact us here.
We have coast to coast office locations. If you would like a free security review or quote, click here!
Fort Worth, TX
Houston, TX (North Office)
Houston, TX (South Office)
Kansas City, KS
Oklahoma City, OK
San Antonio, TX
San Diego, CA
The Alert 360 blog is recognized as a top 10 home security Blog post in the nation!